GDPR General Data Protection Regulation
Green Economics Institute Group Policy and Compliance Statement May 2018
Dear Reader, Participants and Supporters,
The Green Economics Institute is committed to 100% compliance and to the spirit and letter of the law, and therefore we are and have made every effort to comply with the new GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation 2018 ) being introduced in May 2018. We understand that there is much confusion around this new initiative and also that it offers many benefits as well.
Mailing List Request
If you would like to remain on our mailing lists or to go on our mailing list
Please email us today by filling in the information below in italics:
I hereby consent to your keeping the information below and your providing me with information about services and activities.
Your Name ………………
and forwarding this page to email@example.com,
Otherwise we may not be able to advise you about our events, activities or campaigns.
Your explicit consent is needed so that we can keep you informed about news, events, activities and services and process to enable us to continue to provide our services to you.
We seek to comply in the following ways with the main elements which, after taking much advise and training, we understand today to be:
- Requiring specific consent to opt in for keeping emails for mailing lists and then holding this information on our GEI Computers, (now termed processing) and we look forward to hearing from you and to keeping you on or adding you to our list.
- Requiring written consent to keep any data by which a person can be identified
- Requiring consent to keep ’ sensitive data’ under the act
- Agreeing to advise people if we hold their data of any kind.
Your personal data – what is it? Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
How do we process your personal data?
The Green Economics Institute Group complies with its obligations under the “GDPR” by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it in a competent manner; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We hold the following information:
Your contact details as provided by you
Records of your membership subscriptions or conference bookings
We use your personal data for the following purposes: –
To enable us to provide a service to you and to the general public as required to achieve our organisational aims which are Social and environmental justice, preventing runaway climate change, biodiversity loss, reform of economics, and creating a new discipline of Green Economics, and related work.
To maintain our own accounts and records.;
To inform you of news, events, activities and services organised by us.
How long do we keep your personal data? We retain your contact details while they are still current; subscriptions, gift aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 7 years after the tax year to which they relate, which we are required to do by law. If you should want us to destroy it after that period, please email us to advise us of your requirements.
Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
You have the following rights…
To be informed what information is held by The Green Economics Institute Group (i.e. this document).
To see the information held about you, with 30 days notice.
To rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information.
To withdraw consent to GEI using your personal information.
To request your personal information be erased.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints, please in the first instance contact the Voluntary Chair of The Trustees of The Green Economics Institute Trust firstname.lastname@example.org or for The Green Economics Institute, please contact us at email@example.com and our Voluntary Registered Data Controller will be able to advise and assist in anyway we can. If you need information from Green Economics Limited please email firstname.lastname@example.org. As we are a small organisation and have no full time staff please give us as much notice and bear with us if it takes a while to come back to you with assistance. We will do everything we can to help you.
- We have never ever and will never share your data with anyone outside the Green Economics Institute Group and we never ever have in 15 years of operation. Your personal data is treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other members of the GEI Group for purposes connected with GEI. We never share your data with third parties outside GEI .
- Registering our team members who are allowed to handle any data under the requirements of the law as it applies to us.
- Any of our team members seeing data are registered as required under the law
- Under taking an audit of data held and keeping a record of this and allowing information enquiries within the required period requested by law.
- All our team members handling data are required to go on regular training courses run by either their work professional training department –eg in work training or the Involve Team who train charitable organisations.
- All our Trustees are required to sign forms agreeing to abide by the laws and consent to handle all data within the letter and spirit of the law at all times as a condition before they are accepted as Trustees.
- We are constantly reviewing this Process and Policy as it becomes clearer and working with our technical teams to ensure we meet the letter and spirit of the law and still provide you with the service you require and information you have come to expect from us. We continue to attend training and to read advise from government as to the best ways to implement the new law and the best ways to understand and implement it and to keep your data safe. We only use professional website designers and proprietary software and constantly take advise and try to keep up to date with data and website design requirements. We welcome any guidance or help or advise in this regard from readers.
- We are a Learning Organisation and our Directors and Managers attend regular and frequent training courses on a variety of subjects. We keep a list of the training attended by our teams.
As a small organisation, a charity and not for profit we constantly strive to improve. We don’t have a large secretariat or full time staff but we do our best at all times. Please ask us if you need more information or we have inadvertently made an error or you would like to help.
The Green Economics Institute Group,
Green Economics Institute Limited, A Not for Profit
The Green Economics Institute Trust, A Registered Charity email@example.com
Green Economics Limited firstname.lastname@example.org